Mwathani Ti Makofokofo


MWATHANI TI MAKOFOKOFO’ is a line in a song that was often played when I was growing up. The song was fun to sing and dance to….At the time, I couldn’t pronounce the words right, leave alone know what they meant. Like every other African mother, my mum would be up early every morning and as she does her house chores, she would have the radio on, as if it’s the rhythm to which she works. My younger sister and I would sing along to any song that came on the radio whether or not we understood it. This particular song was no different…but all we knew was the ‘kofokofo’ part and nothing else. We would then hum our way through the rest of the song and act like some International Music Superstars. 


My mum would  look at us, shake her head as if doubting if we really are her children, then proceed to the rest of her chores. Eventually, as I grew up, I could grasp and understand things better. I found out that the line actually means that God is not a pair of gumboots, which is of course, is a metaphorical statement.



During the rainy season, gumboots are one of the must-haves especially if you’re from a muddy area. They help you navigate with ease, and in the end, your feet and clothes are not filled with dirt as they would have been, had you been left denude. After the rainy period, more often than not, and if they’re lucky enough, the wellingtons are cleaned and put away. The not-so-lucky ones are left somewhere and forgotten until the next time the mud, the storm and the rains come. That’s when we remember that we actually had a pair that would come in handy in a time of disaster and make life easier. After months of living in the forgotten stores full of dust and cobwebs, the boots now become one of the most useful and valuable objects.But then again, only for a short while. Only until the rains last…then….the cycle continues and they are soon forgotten.


And just like the crowds Jesus fed, we run after him and want to be with him for the good things he offers. For the comfort he gives. For the food, the money, the healing, the spouses, the security, and all the sweetest things in life. But deep down, our hearts are not truly after him. We don’t really want him. We just want what he gives. And don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with wanting the good things in life. They’re amazing. I also want them. All of them and in abundance. But there’s everything wrong with only wanting them and not wanting the giver. Only seeking him when we’re in trouble, when we’re hungry, in need of a spouse, when danger seems to linger around the corner. Then after he gets us out of our shacks that we so meticulously built with the devil and asked Him to pay rent, we throw him under the radar. He no longer matters up until the next time vexation makes a date with us. If I didn’t know any better, I’d say that we’re using him…but it seems more correct to say that we treat him as if he’s 911.

One of my favorite authors Timothy Keller says that Jesus can either be one of these four; A Lunatic, Liar, Lord or a Legend. Pick whichever works for you. But if at all you claim that He is Lord over your life, then He can’t be Lord in certain times and others he’s on the side bar, wrapped up in cobwebs and full of dust. He can’t be Lord if you’re going to be the captain of your ship. He can’t be Lord if you’re not willing to crucify your flesh daily, pick-up your cross and follow Him. He is not Lord at all if he’s not Lord over everything.

In her book ‘Out of the SALTSHAKER and into the world’, Rebeccah Pippet writes, “Whatever controls us is our lord. The person who seeks power is controlled by power. The person who seeks acceptance is controlled by acceptance. We do not control ourselves. We are controlled by the lord of our lives.” 

Need I say more?? Mwathani ti Makofokofo

Comments

  1. I could picture everything in my mind as per your description... You singing along with your sister... It's true that Jesus should be el Capitan of our life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I say this girl writes so well...you remember when I used to tell you uandike? Look it's turning out so positive and I have learnt something...oooh I mean everything

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Love

What Do Women Want?

My Ideal